Re: [OT] [CSS21] xml namespace (was Re: xml:id versus xmlid)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Ian Hickson writes:
>
> > It isn't the case in, for instance, CSS. There, the "xml" prefix would
> > have to be explicitly defined before being used.
>
> That's a bug, in my opinion.  I would very much like to see a built-in,
> exclusive in both directions, binding of 'xml' to
> 'http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace' written in to CSS 2.1.

Well, 2.1 doesn't have namespaces, but in CSS3, I assume.

> That would bring it in to line with XML Namespaces 1.1 in a useful way.

What's the use case? This seems like it would complicate the spec and the
implementations, as well as make full tutorials slightly more complicated,
without any real benefit to the end user. When would you ever use this
namespace in CSS?