Re: CSS 2.1 to become a recommendation?

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

> There is one PR on the entire plan, for Selectors. According to
> http://www.w3.org/Style/2004/css-charter.html#publications0 no other PR
> (and thus Rec) is envisaged for CSS until some time after 2007.
>
> Bert, is that really correct?

[not speaking for bert, but jumping in here anyway...]

The Selectors spec has a date for its PR because we have a reasonable test
suite, and have (informally, at the moment) established that we have two
interoperable implementations for every feature [1], so we are expecting
to exit CR.

None of the other specs we have in CR have either good enough test suites
or good enough implementations. We can plan to get test suites done [2],
but there's no way we can predict when implementations will be compliant.
That, obviously, is up to the implementors. Therefore we can't plan for
when we'll exit CR, and thus we definitely can't plan PR.

So yes, it's correct.

[1] With a couple of exceptions of features we're planning on dropping.

[2] Well, we can plan to get some test suites done, but with limited
resources there are only so many we can do. :-)