Re: [css3-background] merging 'background-quantity' and 'background-repeat'?

On Sunday 10 April 2005 21:03, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> A previous CSS3 Background Module draft had quite a useful feature
> called 'background-quantity'[1]. Isn't it very easy to merge this
> with 'background-repeat' now it accepts two values instead of one?
> Making <repeat>[2] look like:
>
>   repeat-x | repeat-y | [repeat | space | no-repeat | <integer>]{1,2}
>
> ... would make that possible I believe.

It's certainly possible, but when the WG discussed the property (last
December, I think), it concluded that the feature wasn't all that
useful. The number of times that you want a specific number of tiles
(without stretching them) appears to be very rare and, unlike repeating
and stretching, duplicating an image is something the author can do
himself.

> [1]<http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-background-20020802/#background
>-quantity>
> [2]<http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-backgr