Re: [css3-background] comments

Emrah BASKAYA wrote:
> But, if one desperately needs his background image to stick from round
> corners, he could use ::outside *if ::outside is rendered in the
> background of the div it is wrapping and not just outside, but this was
> not made clear in the spec.*

::outside is a pseudo-element. That means that it behaves like any other
element, although it not actually in the document tree. Effectively
however, it is just like when you put a div around it. So, if the
element ::outside is wrapping has a transparent background, and a
rounded border, then it should work just fine.

> Or there could be an extra setting in background-image like NoClipByBorder:
> background-image: url(nicebg.png) noclipbyborder;

Seems overkill to me. As you said, ::outside can do it. And I think once
implemented, ::outside will be better known to CSS authors than an
obscure additional value such as this one.

Besides, why would one possibly want the image not to get the corners as
well? Oppositely, I think that being able to give an image rounded
corners (prettily antialiased :)) will be much appreciated.

Finally, the principle of the box model is that the background is
contained within the border. Why make an exception here.

> There is no pixel-width of an anti-alias, when you talk about pixel
> widths, it sounds more like glow like Lauren Holst mentions.

I was slightly mistaken there, Barry was talking about only applying
anti-aliasing to borders with a width of 2 pixels or more. Though I
don’t know why it would not apply to 1-pixel borders.

~Grauw