Separation of Content, Layout and Style

My personal take would be that CSS3 should try to leverage / learn from the
number of existing layout solutions that are already deployed instead of
trying to invent something from scratch.

I've been forced to use 3 or 4 in the course of my career.  (The first was
the PenPoint layout manager from Go in 1991.)  The latest I've seen is the
layout manager for SWT which looks like it may offer a pretty good starting
point today. [1]

Many of the concepts in the CSS box model correspond directly to elements of
other layout systems (for example the row and grid layouts in SWT).  This
should make the task fairly tractable once the WG decides to try and
separate the notion of layout from style.

[1]
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Understanding%20Layouts/Understanding%20Layo
uts.htm

[MDM] <<snip>>