Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Ben Ward wrote:

> [positioned opacity is all-opaque in legacy UAs]
>
> So, with regard to the above scenario and any similar others that may
> arise in future. Is it in the WGs vision that CSS should have some means
> of handling such conflicts? Or are scenarios such as this accepted as
> 'inevitable without resolution' as the CSS vocabulary grows larger?

I can't speak for the group, but the real problem is that all the
solutions that have been proposed have fundamental problems, which have
been discussed to death over the last eight years. It's a discussion that
working group members have learnt to avoid because there simply haven't
been any new ideas for years, and repeatedly pointing out the problems
(some of which only really come to light when you try to specify it in
enough detail to be worthy of putting it in a spec) is no fun.

In the absence of a working solution, the scenarios you mention are indeed
effectively "inevitable". In general we try to avoid them.