Re: WHATWG Attribute puzzle

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> ...there is no way to select an element based on the way the user
>> agent processes it, only based on its markup.

Oops, my mistake.  I should have said something more like "...only based
on the DOM, which is created from the markup."

>    That has been my observation. Things are styled on the markup version
> of the attributes (at best) rather than the associated DOM property.

No, they are styled based on the DOM.

>> No, it won't work, because UAs are still going to have type="datetime"
>> within the DOM, even though they are treating it as type="text".
>
>    I think you mean that the DOM property would be "text" while the
> markup would have "date"...

No, I meant what I said.  Check Mozilla's DOM inspector to confirm that
the attribute value in the DOM will match the value written in the markup.

>> As a work around, you could possibly make use of a selector that is
>> commonly supported by Web Forms 2 UAs, but not by non-Web Forms 2 UAs.
>> Basically, you'll have to make use of a CSS filter of some kind.
>
>    Something like this?:
>
> | input { /* Default styling. */ }
> | input:dom(type, "date") { /* Date styling. */ }

That won't work because, as I stated previously, the DOM will contain
the same value as that written in the markup.  However, as Anne
mentioned in his reply, I meant that you could use a CSS hack (though I
called it a CSS filter instead), not make up a new selector.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/