Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> I think it would degrade better if we had an all or nothing block, where all
> the properties would need to be supported for any of them to be applied.
>
> .sidenote {
>   padding: 5px;
>   { border-radius: 15px; padding: 15px 5px; }
> }

I agree that something like this would add *very much* value to CSS.
Although I would personally prefer not such an additional nesting.
Perhaps something like .sidenote {{ ... }} would work, it is certainly
shorter than an @-rule.

Whether or not browsers are conservative in their claims for support
does I think not really matter that much... If they claim support,
surely they at least have some of it (although perhaps buggy), and
people will in practice always check in multiple browsers. If it doesn’t
work, they will probably add some property which is not supported by a
specific browser (kinda hackish like * html I agree), this is not very
nice perhaps but I don’t think you can prevent nor rule out the need for
such practices.

So, in my opinion, when working on a per-property basis, questions about
when a browser can support a certain property aren’t that important.
Actually, in this case it seems pretty trivial: as soon as it recognises
it (and its values), and does something with it, it is supported. Even
when the implementation is buggy. Anything else won’t do.

So position: fixed in IE would cause the conditional block not to work.
display: float in IE, even though it is a little buggy sometimes, would
pass. max-width in IE would I guess only pass when placed on table
elements, though I could also imagine it would always pass.

~Grauw