Re: Possible Fix For Positioning?

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:13:42 +0200, Staffan Måhlén
<staffan.mahlen@comhem.se> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2005 at 20:54, Kelly Miller wrote:
> <snip/>
>> CSS needs a value for positioning that allows a page author to position
>> an element like in absolute or fixed, but unlike them, the program
>> displaying the page should treat it as if it were in the flow at the
>> position where it was moved to.
> <snip/>
>
> But wouldn't that severly disrupt how user agents can flow the
> content incrementally since any content anywhere in the document
> source can affect most of the other flow? It might also be easy to
> create circular dependencies using such a positioning feature.
>
>  /Staffan

I like this positioning idea. It would not cause incremental disruption at
all.. First and foremost, the user agents may be advised that this would
effect the flow of only the contents of the parent structure of the
absolute-floated element (how about that name...) and the portions
potentially out of the area of its parent structure would not change the
flow of anything. So this makes it easy for the agents to solve the
content flow problem. What I mean is, if positioned at 450 300 in a parent
block with size of 300 200, the element would act like the old absolutely
positioned and not interfere with anything outside its parent. Also,
absolute-floated elements, while affecting flow of normal floated elements
and text of its parent structure, would not effect the position of other
absolute-floated elements, so they may indeed overlap. This would also
make it easy for user agents to solve the flow problem and give us more
predictable results.

Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com