Re: Problem with 'target-new' property and alternative suggestion

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> So, my alternative. I saw the technique elsewhere, and have started
>> doing it on my pages. I use rel="external" in external hyperlinks.
>> This supplies information about the link, stating that it's external.
>
> That information is already available from the link itself and therefore
> does not have to be presented (again) in an additional attribute.

A browser cannot know whether gmail.google.com and google.com are
"external" to each other, and they are on the same domain. It's not
uncommon to have https:// and http:// sites "internal" to eachother
also, but most browser would consider them separate "websites".  I
personally like the rel="external" idea. I even imagine further useful
relationships, such as "help" and "sidebar" which could significantly
reduce dependence on script to open undecorated windows. And these "rel"
values are not incompatible with a CSS target-new property... CSS
selectors could even be part of the UA stylesheet to implement these
"rel" values.

--BDS