Re: @useragent (was Proposal: version at-rule)

Allowing an explicit user agent at-rule flies in the face of the
principle of coding for a generic standard rather than specific user
agents, which I believe, is much of the reason why there are W3C
standards at all.

Having this would also encourage browser makers to say "well, our
browser has this quirk, but rather than us take the time to fix it, why
don't you just use the at-rule that we *do* support?"

Browser sniffing is a necessary evil, but I think codifying what, by its
very nature, is a hack into official specifications is a pretty bad idea.

-Felipe Gasper

Quoth Lachlan Hunt on 3/25/2004 6:34 PM...