Re: Dreams aloud

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

>It would be nice if instead of three separate attributes width, min-width,
>max-width we represent
>'width' as an aggregate or structure:
>
>width: 100px; /* old style */
>width: 50% (min:20px, max:100px)
>
>This will solve independent cascading issues mentioned in my previous
>posting.
>
>The same approach could be used for 'display':
>
>display: block(position:float-left)
>display: block(position:absolute, top:10px, ... )
>display: inline;
>
>Just to avoid mutualy exclusive attribute values.
>
>That are only dreams of course.
>
>Andrew Fedoniouk.
>http://terrainfomatica.com

As I do agree that this would be a good way to prevent mistakes on the
user-side, I do not feel it would be worth it to re-write/re-scope these
attributes, plus if width: ... (.....)   was not recognized format for a
UA, it would discard the width specification, would we want to
completely discard all directives with min/max width and leave a
completely broken UI for older UA's or keep our current approach.

Also that format would become unessecarily (sp?) complex, we would then
have what would be coined `sub-properties` (by me).  these
sub-properties would then be placed into the description block for each
property that used them, and would add that much more complexity to a
single properties parsing/description.

What if you want to modify the position in the display: block... one you
have, later in the CSS or through DOM, how would you do this for example?

Just my thoughts,
~Justin Wood