Re: [CSS] Rules for parsing and compatibility

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Ernest Cline wrote:

> Here's one using CSS3 Text
>
> blockquote {
>   text-indent:-0.6em
> }
> @property text-hanging {
>   blockquote {
>     text-hanging:start;
>     text-indent:0;
>   }
> }

'text-hanging' was removed from CSS3 for exactly this reason.

Your example would be:

   blockquote {
     text-indent: 0;
     text-indent: 0.6em hanging;
   }

...unless I've misunderstood something. (Which is quite possible, I'm the
first to admit that the CSS3 Text module confuses me.)

> @property quotes{
>   * {quotes: "\201C" "\201D" "\2018" "\2019" }
>   q .qm {display: none}
>   q:before { content: open-quote }
>   q:after { content: close-quote }
> }

Such a document is invalid per HTML, since "Authors should not put
quotation marks at the beginning and end of the content of a Q element".
Lynx, for example, or Opera in user mode, or handheld Opera in SSR mode,
would correctly render:

   ""The quote mark is a curious thing.""

So this is definitely just a bug workaround IMHO.

Any other use cases? :-)

> However as the new CSS 3 properties become deployed there is more
> opportunity for simulation, and more chances that even if simulation is
> not desired, that the desired values of some properties may vary
> depending upon what other properties and values are available.

If properties are so unnecessary as to be replacable by "simulations", I
think there is a strong argument for not including such properties in the
first place.