Re: Image Maps: A Presentational Structure

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Hi,
>   I've just been thinking about image maps in XHTML.  The whole concept
> of an image map is that hyperlinks are mapped to hot spots on an image.
>  This seems rather presentational to me.

But did you consider that removing the link-information from the (X)HTML
file would render clients unusable that don't understand/support CSS.
E.g. textmode browsers like lynx or w3m can use the link targets to
present a list of links instead the image map. And there are people who
are bound to such or similar browsers. The visually impaired or blind
people.

So your proposal seems not well for me.  Image-maps cannot be seperated
in a way that suits clear separation. So if you really insist on
something like that, I'd propose to rather deprecate/remove image-maps
completely than make them unusable to certain types of browsers.

--Daniel