Re: color:transparent

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Bryce Fields wrote:
>
>> I'm sure that this is probably a bad idea on many levels, but I
>> thought I'd float it out there anyway.  You learn as much from
>> negative feedback as you do positive.  So here goes.
>>
>> It has occured to me while researching the various image replacement
>> techniques, that it would be much simpler to implement IR if you could
>> just declare color:transparent.  Then you wouldn't need extraneous
>> markup, no "off-left" positioning, etc.  Text would not need to be
>> artificially manipulated to move it out of the way of the background
>> image.
>

> Although CSS3 allows this, as you find out in your follow-up e-mail,
> it is much more appropriate to use the 'content' property, as in:
>
>   h1#contact{
>    content:url("contact"),contents;
>   }
>
> I believe Opera supports this in some way:
>
>   h1#contact{
>    content:url("contact");
>   }

Of course this assumes that common UA's support it, where if they do
not, they would get |contents| only, which I assume is not a real bad
(its non-breaking) solution, though Mozilla (iirc) and IE do not support
the content property on regular elements and only on ::before,::after
type selectors.

~Justin Wood (Callek)