center block in space remaining beside float

http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/tmp/test5.html is a reduction of a page I'm
trying to build, essentially a testcase.

IE puts the top HR and the following div#contentwrap exactly where I want
them, centered in the div#outerwrap space not used by the sole float,
div#menu.

Gecko only puts the top HR where I want it, centering div#contentwrap in the
viewport rather than the available space. Since Gecko is able to center the
HR in the available space, apparently via margin-left-value: auto and
margin-right-value: auto in gre/res/html.css, it ought to be able to do it
with a div immediately following sized to the exact same width. So far, I've
not found a way. How can this be done?

I asked this various places, where was suggested to workaround either by
using display: table-cell, or estimating the width of div#menu and using
that amount for padding-right in div#outerwrap. I think workarounds
shouldn't be necessary for this purpose.

I asked this in news:netscape.public.mozilla.style and was told it isn't
possible in CSS2 or 2.1, but might be in CSS3. I then asked followup
questions, and was told to direct them here:

1-Was the ability to do what I want intentionally omitted from CSS2 &
2.1? If so, why?

2-Is this ability intended for inclusion in CSS3? If so, is
'float-displace: block' the property intended for this purpose?
--
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through me."                        John 14:6 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/