Re: Border and background images

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> If you want multiple backgrounds, the best way to do it is to make it
>> possible to specify them on the element itself through the background
>> properties. Workarounds are just not going to be as robust.
>
> I agree with the points you make. However, applying multiple background
> images on a single element is something that is probably very complex to
> implement for browsers and if it is supposed to be used for rounded
> corners, it would be a hack as well, not?

It would be less of a hack, because we're not generating extra boxes to
interfere with the box layout. Also, border-radius is already in the
drafts and isn't a border image property, so I'd want to keep it in.

> I'm not sure what kind of syntax you had in mind, but there should be a
> way to control the z-index of each background image, it's position et
> cetera. These are a lot of properties and all apply to only a single
> element.

   background: url(base.gif) center center,
               url(floral.gif) bottom right fixed,
               white;

or, in full:

   background-color: white;
   background-image: url(base.gif), url(floarl.gif);
   background-position: center center, bottom right;
   background-attachment: scroll, fixed;

 > I guess that will be quite hard to implement for UAs.

Putting a loop in the background image painting code so it paints
multiple images instead of just one?

Allowing some images to be scroll and some to be fixed, though--
that would be hard and might have to be forced out of the spec.

> Especially when they want it to render fast.

Exactly how would it be slower than doing all the calculations for
creating an entire separate *layout box* and flowing it as well as
painting its backgrounds?

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact