Re[2]: [css4-text] 'text-autospace' and French guillemets

2004-08-07T21:53:59+03:00 Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com> wrote:

> Alexander Savenkov wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 6 August 2004
> in "Re: [css4-text] 'text-autospace' and French guillemets"
> (<mid:1363665531.20040806124737@xmlhack.ru>):

>> Aren't these to be solved with typesetting?

> Do you mean using characters to produce certain glyphs? I can’t answer
> the question because I don't understand it.

That was a rhetorical question, Etan.

>> I’m not asking to include a special CSS property to allow thinner
>> space between inline list items: 1, 2, 3.

> Presumably, each list item is marked up, so margin or padding
> properties would be appropriate. Yes?

Bad example, sorry. I should have expected you would talk about
marking the list up. Let’s take another one.

If you have the following “3 %” in your text (minus the quotes), the
right to way to handle the sequence is not to mark it up, but to place
the special typographical characters that will do the job:

3,EN SPACE,% or more precisely 3,ZWNBSP,EN SPACE,ZWNBSP,%.

You don’t need to do this:

3<span class="percentsign">%</span>
and apply .percentsign { margin-left: .5en; }.

See, it’s not the level of markup, it’s still the level of plain text.

> Say that I have a fragment of text:

> «foo»

> In HTML and in XHTML, I can mark that up as

> ...and apply the CSS

> span.Pi { margin-right: 0.2ex; }
> span.Pf { margin-left: 0.2ex; }

Exactly, what space is put between the text and the quote marks in
France?

> Okay, so that's one solution. Or semi-solution. But it is cumbersome
> and doesn’t work for markup languages which lack a "span"-like element
> type.

If you really want to do the typesetting, get yourself a book on
typography and look for the necessary character in the Unicode Charts.

Regards,
Alexander.
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/