Re: Controling structure with CSS

Tantek Çelik wrote:
>That's the point.  You can substitute "XML" or "UNICODE" into that sentence
>as the "it" to see how little sense it makes as a generalization.

In that case, I guess you were being just a
little too pithy for my poor, practical head.

>  >>> XLST is intended
>>>
>>>  This statement has two fundamental philosophical flaws.
>>>
>>>  1. The "one-tech" blinders.  Just because there is one technology to do
>>>  something doesn't mean there shouldn't be another.
>>>
>>>  2. The fact that complex solutions beg for simpler solutions.
>>
>>  Let's assume you are correct in both.  Does this
>>  mean that it is your belief that CSS *should*
>>  allow authors to re-arrange document structure?
>
>That question assumes binary thinking.

Well, yeah.  The original question was, "[W]ould
it make sense to allow authors to rearrange the
structure of a document wit[h] CSS?"  Maybe I'm
just a literalist, but that sure looks like a
yes/no question to me.  You appeared to be
arguing for "yes", so I asked you to clarify, as
I found that surprising.

>In answer to your question, no, because that would be assuming a false
>dichotomy of CSS vs. anything else.

I understand the "no" part, but you simply lose
me with the rest of it.  The reasoning you
proffer has nothing to do with that simple "no"
answer.  The question doesn't assume any kind of
dichotomy, but simply asks for an opinion about
what CSS should or should not allow.  I think you
are just trying too hard.  It really is a pretty
simple question....

...which you would apparently answer "no", after
all.  Perhaps we should leave it at that.

-Adam