Re: list-style-position

On 9/11/03 10:13 AM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Tantek [ISO-8859-1] ?lik wrote:
>>
>> On 9/11/03 7:10 AM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> This does raise an interesting point though, since a later comment says
>>> that normally only line-height affects the line box, which is obviously
>>> not true for inline-block... Hmm. I'll need to think about this.
>>
>> That latter comment is clearly false since there is also the case of the
>> line box being affected by inline replaced elements' intrinsic height.
>
> The actual comment says something like "for replaced elements, the
> intrinsic height affects the line box, but normally, only line-height
> does". So yeah, that's exactly the case being discussed. :-)

Yet more evidence that defining (or at least explaining) inline-block as
being formatted like a replaced element works and makes sense for folks.

inline-block
   This value causes an element to generate a block box, which itself is
flowed as a single inline box, similar to a replaced element. The inside of
an inline-block is formatted as a block box, and the element itself is
formatted as a replaced element on the line.

Tantek