Re: title/alt and style generated content

Svend Tofte writes:

> If an element has content added, or replaced, and said element had some form
> of alt/title attribute, does this still apply to the new content? UA's seem
> to say yes, but I couldn't find it anywhere?

By "apply to" you mean that the browser shows the attribute in a
little pop-up window or in the status bar?

That effect is not part of the CSS rendering model (at least not yet:
see below) and thus CSS doesn't say under what circumstances a browser
may show the attributes.

But that may change in CSS3. Since there have been requests to be able
to control "tooltips" from CSS, the CSS3 UI module defines an
'appearance' property that has 'tooltip' as one of its values.
Presumably, once browsers implement that property, they will show a
tooltip only for those elements and pseudo-elements that are defined
as 'tooltip'. And thus the asnwer to your example becomes: it's your
choice.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-ui-20030703/#appearance

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM