Re: css21 list-style-type dropped types

"Jukka K. Korpela" wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Jungshik Shin wrote:
>
> > > the W3C is not a standards organization.
> >
> >  I'm wondering what your definition of standard organization is. Is IEEE
> > one? How about IETF and Unicode consortium? It seems that in your view,
> > only ISO and its national counterparts count as standard organizations.
>
> Checking the ISO FAQ I find
> "2.2   Where can I find links to other international, regional or national
> standardization bodies, or information about their standards?
> Consult the World Standards Services Network, accessible via the ISO
> Online home page. It contains links to international, regional and
> national standardization bodies, including international and regional
> organizations which develop standards in their specialized subject area,
> in addition to their principal activity."
>   http://www.iso.org/iso/en/faqs/faq-standards.html
> The site mentioned there is
> http://www.wssn.net/WSSN/
> which has the document "International Standardizing Bodies"
> http://www.wssn.net/WSSN/listings/links_international.html
> which does not mention W3C. IETF is there. Unicode consortium is not.
> This looks relatively simple to me: industry consortia are not
> standards organizations.

The conversation is becoming a bit silly isn't it?

1) That web page hardly guarantees that all standards are on the list.

2) And you know that Unicode is synchronized with ISO 10646 and so is a
standard.

3) Both consortia maintain two-way relations with a number of standards bodies
and all parties try to coordinate and integrate their respective products. If
the W3C and Unicode documents were not tantamount to standards, then the
relations would be much more one way between the consortia and other
organizations.

Let's focus on more interesting and pertinent matters...

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
tex

Making e-Business Work Around the World