Re: Values in font-size-adjust example

On Tuesday 2003-05-13 04:01 +0200, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Verdana:         0.58 -- 1117 / 2048 ~= 0.545

> Times New Roman: 0.46 --  916 / 2048 ~= 0.447

> Are the values wrong, inaccurate, derived from different versions, or is the
> calculation method flawed?

I'm not sure.  I did similar computations back in February 1999, and got
similar numbers for the two fonts above based on measuring the lowercase
x (see screenshot [1]).  I emailed Todd Fahrner, who I think was the
original author of the table in question, and he replied, with a link to
a screenshot that no longer exists, which contained what I suspect was
an answer to my question that satisfied me at the time (probably with
the font's metrics drawn in showing where the "official" x-height was).

So it now surprises me a bit that the numbers disagree with the metrics
provided in the font, especially since you seem to have tried many
reasonable combinations of dividend and divisor.

-David

[1] http://dbaron.org/css/fonts/fontsize.gif