Re: Test suite submissions

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Etan Wexler wrote:

> It is difficult to find names that are both descriptive and short enough to
> meet the guidelines.

That is true. I would recommend not being verbose in the description part
of the filename. A single property name or abbreviated area title is fine.

>> * Convert the tests to XHTML1.1 as per the 2.1 template.
>
> Will there be a process that automatically converts test pages to HTML 4?

Yes. There will be XHTML1.1, XHTML Basic, HTML4.01, and non-XHTML XML
tests generated out of the XHTML1.1 tests. (Quite how we're going to do
the last one of those is not yet clear.)

>> http://www.kitchenquest.com/css-test/attaching/unknown-element.html
>> This test is invalid HTML4, and only HTML4 UAs would be expected to
>> find the stylesheet.
>
> I think that the user agents are HTML user agents not bound to a
> particular version of HTML. After all, most user agents handle HTML 3.2
> and 2.0 as well as HTML 4. If they are general HTML user agents and not
> HTML 4 user agents, the test is good as it stands.

Let me rephrase my comment. What specification says that UAs should pass
that test?

> Can I rely on testers to have or to obtain Ahem? It would seem that I
> cannot.

Yes, you can. Generally, you can rely on:

   * the default background colour being white
   * the default text colour being black
   * the default link colour being blue
   * the default visited link colour being purple
   * the default font-size being in the region of 16px
   * the Ahem font being available
   * the output device being a full colour device
   * support for non-transparent PNG images
   * the user stylesheet being empty (except as required by the tests)
   * the default language being en-US
   * the user's download settings being at their default values
   * cookies being enabled
   * window.open being enabled, even during onload handlers

I should probably mention that in the guidelines somewhere.

>> If possible, providing a text file with the full URIs to each of the
>> tests, one per line, will greatly help with the creation of the test
>> suite.
>
> Am I to submit this file to the list, submit it off the list, or make it
> available by HTTP? Or was there something else?

Over HTTP would be the most convenient.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated!

Cheers,