Re: author-defined color aliases

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, 11:27:18 PM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>> [...] Or left out @import and the ability to link stylesheets, so
>> that the CSS had to be embedded in the 'head' of every document.

BH> That's actually kind of a solution

Thanks for mentioning that. I was tempted, but resisted.

BH> as far as XHTML is concerned,

More generally, as far as any XML grammar is concerned. People do this
in SVG all the time, for example. Of course it does rely on there being
an XML parser, which means the content that does this had better be
served as application/xhtml+xml not text/html

BH> try

BH>   <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
BH>       "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"
BH>   [
BH>     <!ENTITY foreground "rgb(0, 128, 255)">
BH>     <!ENTITY background "rgb(255, 128, 0)">

The value of this approach over simple textual search and replace is
better seen when particular named colors happen to resolve to the same
actual color.