RE: Color: auto, or colour fallbacks

> From: David Woolley [mailto:david@djwhome.demon.co.uk]
>
> long lines in MIME email are long lines
> and should be displayed horizontally scrolled, not word wrapped.

Ah, sorry, I'd been getting rid of the breaks to let recipient's clients
wrap them however they prefer to view them. I suppose it's no
surprise Outlook doesn't do this for you on send of MIME text/plain...

> **** below 70%. User Agents are encouraged to offer a "force contrast"
>
> The contrast is in a multi-dimensional space which is not the same
> for all people.

Correct, but at some point the UA has only 2 things: a block of text,
and a raster image of whatever sits behind the text. A UA could
(probably should) define 70% contrast as 70% Lightness difference
between the maximum of the raster and the text.

But this gets into the UA algorithm, which I agree is for UAs to
decide.

> I do see a benefit in making the existence of the feature
> explicit as it will be a trigger to that innovation, and will make really
> professional designers aware that users are likely to selectively override
> their colours.

It sounds like what you're really talking about here is a UA feature
request, and evangelism regarding it. I suspect one UA
implementing this feature (even a niche one like Opera or Mozilla)
would have the above effect - really professional designers would
keep selective override in mind.

I don't mean to blow off the idea. To complicate things, you may
need 2 values: distinct and contrast, which differ in important ways.
Distinct guarantees, for example, that the selector's color will not
be exactly the same as other colors using "distinct." Contrast
simply guarantees the text will render at a readable-level of
contrast.

Using the color attribute for both would be difficult unless multiple
values were allowed (color: distinct contrast #00f;). Alternatively
properties could be added for each and the color property left be.

-Chris "SoopahMan" Moschini
http://hiveminds.info/
http://soopahman.com/

(this is a public mailing list - ignore attachment)

Thank you.