Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup*

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Shelby Moore wrote:

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Jan/0000.html
>
> The missing link in your diagram is that XBL should have a bi-drectional
> line to "MathML, XHTML" ("Semantics"). Per your <A> date example, XBL has
> power to modify the meaning of semantic layer (and cause the content markup
> in between <a> and </a> to be ignored).

Study the example more carefully, and you'll find that actually what it
does is execute some script when the page is loaded.

That script performs a regular expression match on the element's contents,
and if they match a specific pattern (i.e. if they are a date) then it
does some mathematical operations and then invokes a couple of DOM methods
to change the in-memory DOM tree.

It does not even remotely touch the underlying representation.

Now, please explain to me how this is in any way more of a corruption of
the semantics than the following:

   <xsl:template match="a">
    <a>new content</a>
   </xsl:template>