Re: WD-CSS21-20020802 section 8, "Box model", substantive comments

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Etan Wexler wrote:
>>> The specification needs to specify exactly which elements confer the
>>> permission to deviate from the box model. As it stands, an implementor
>>> could claim that 'p' and 'div' elements are the "certain elements"
>>> mentioned in the specification.
>>
>> Yes, they could, but they'd be the laughing stock of the CSS community.
>
> True though that be, I remain unsatisfied. What we need is not a
> laughingstock but a set of clear conformance criteria. If the
> criteria are not only clear but strict too, the CSS community is
> all the better for it.

If you can come up with criteria that are suitable, it is likely that they
will be used. However, personally I consider the current text suitable,
because in practice humiliation is just as good an incentive to compliance
as is watertight normative text...