Re: font sizes

Hello todd,

On Friday, February 21, 2003 you wrote:

>>> Note that current versions of Explorer correctly map "medium" to the
>>> default/user size when in "strict" rendering mode (DOCTYPE-sniffed at
>>> the moment).
>>
>> This is what I have at the beginning (and is also what www.w3.org has)
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>>
>> And I have IE 6 and Opera 7. The default font-size seems to be
>> 'small'. What am I doing wrong then?

> WinIE6 bungles the doctype sniff, going into "quirks" mode when an xml
> prologue is used (sigh). MacIE5 gets it right. As for Opera, it's my
> belief that earlier versions emulated the WinIE bug of defaulting to
> "small", while I have heard that the current version corrects this.

Opera 7.0 now also sports a Doctype sniffer, and the emulation of
WinMSIE 6's sniffer was a bit too good. So an XML declaration sends
Opera 7.0 into quirks mode even though you use the latest and greatest
Doctype, which is not very useful. Opera 7.1 or thereabouts will fix
this.

Greetings,
 Rijk                            mailto:rijk@iname.com

Mot du Jour:
A camel is a horse planned by committee.