Re: CSS Namespace (error in spec?)

On Friday, February 21, 2003, 12:16:17 AM, Sigurd wrote:

SL> ------------------------------------------
SL> CSS Namespace Enhancements (Proposal)

SL> Status of this document

SL> This document forms one part of a modular set of Working Drafts which will,
SL> when complete, define the next level of CSS. There is consensus in the W3C
SL> Working Group on CSS&FP that the functionality described in this document is
SL> important to improve formatting, especially printing, from the Web. There is
SL> not yet consensus on the CSS syntax for describing multicolumn layouts.
SL> -------------------------------------------

SL> Does multicolumn layouts have anything to do with namespaces?

No, its a glitch.

SL> Also, is this really the last version (1999)?

I was going to write "No".

Unfortunately, I need to write "Yes and No"

No, the latest drafts are part of CSS3 though this specific
functionality has not changed since then. The original design was
elegant and efficient and there has been no reason to change it; I
would strongly resist any moves to change it at this stage.

I agree this document from 1999 should be replaced by one that points
backwards at the 1999 document for historical record and forwards to

Selectors
W3C Candidate Recommendation 13 November 2001
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/

where most of the functionality resides, and also to

CSS3 module: Syntax
W3C Working Draft, 31 May 2002
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-syntax-20020531 (member only)
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-syntax (404 not found)

err... has this *ever* been published?  And why does a Candidate
Recommendation refer to a document that is at pre-first-WD stage?

To see the current status of CSS work, look at
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work