Re: Column text color

On Dec 5, 2003, at 12:28 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Sandy Smith wrote:
>> http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1070385285&count=1
>> This is a total off-the-top-of-my-head idea but what about building
>> in a CSS accessor for the TD element's "header" property? That way as
>> a table cell is being evaluated, a property like:
>> td::header#myColumn { color: red }
>> ...would take precedence over any definition for a TR element.
>
> How would this work exactly?  That is, how would this be used in an
> actual document?
>
> -Boris

OK, my colleague, Jason Lefkowitz, and I have done a little more
research, and this is currently supported in Mozilla and Safari, but
not in IE (Mac or PC):

Example document:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<head>
	<title>Untitled</title>
/* <![CDATA[ */
tr.data { color: blue }
td[headers~=myColumn] { color: red }
td.specialCell { background-color: black }
/* ]]> */
</head>
		<th id="myColumn">Red Text in This Column</th>
		<th>Data</th>

Obviously you could achieve the same effect with a normal class, but
this way you can use a class for other things, and it has a slight
semantic meaning. And, if I understand the original article's problem
statement correctly, it overcomes the problem of rows taking precedence
to the <col> element and is be rendered at the appropriate point.
Another drawback is that with only a single statement, you couldn't
define the column with the traditional box model properties applied to
the column as a whole.

Plus there's the "IE doesn't support it" problem, whereas a class would
work across browsers.

--
Sandy Smith, Senior Programmer
Forum One Communications, Inc.