Re: Columns and other layouts

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 01:34 Europe/London, Coises wrote:

> Designers want and need control, but /not/ at the pixel-engineer level
> CSS2 so readily provides.  We need control at the /logical/ level...

I think this sums up what I'm trying to say really well. I don't want
to issue a directive to the browser saying put this content block 300
pixels in and 20 pixels down, I want to say put this box next to the
navigation area. If the nav gets bigger, for whatever reason, my
content should move relatively. It is defining relationships between
content areas that tables do much better than CSS and it's only those
relationships that designers care about really. They are what makes
HTML such a great tool for displaying rapidly changing content in a
diverse range of environments, the core task of web design.

Would anybody responsible for CSS specifications like to comment on
this?

Ben

(q)	Ben Godfrey?
(a)	Web Developer and Designer