Re: Scrollbars In The Box Model

On Friday, April 11, 2003, 7:07:39 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Dylan Schiemann wrote:

>> While I do respect Ian's rationale for not specifying where scrollbars
>> lie in the box model, I find this to be a more necessary thing to have
>> in a specification than named colors.

I am tending to agree. Not where the scrollbars in the box model, but
that there should be stylistic control over the styling of the
scrolling mechanism (one of the choices should be scrollbars) and the
position, color etc of the scrolling mechanism if visible.

IH> Scrolling mechanisms vary *wildly*. There are scrollbars, panning
IH> mechanisms, purely input-based systems, buttons placed on the overflow
IH> edges (as seen in long menus on Windows), automatic marquee, etc.

Yes. This is why SVG did not specify in any way what scrolling (or in
general, panning - of which scrolling is a subset) mechanism be
employed. And we are now hearing frquent demands to be able to specify
whether the mechanism is a scrollbar or not.

IH> It isn't the place of the CSS working group to specify what scrolling
IH> mechanism should be used.

Not to mandate a particular mechanism, certainly.

But it could easily be the place of the CSS WG to allow stylistic
control over the form of the mechanism.