Re: New display value "footnote"

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Stuart Ballard wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >    @media print {
> >       fn { content: footnote; }
> >       fn::footnote { content: contents; }
> >    }
> >
> > It requires two rules to specify a footnote.
> >
> > And I don't really see any sensible way of solving that.
>
> Does it necesarily?
>
> Can't you just say that the ::footnote pseudo-element doesn't exist at
> all unless "content: footnote" is specified on the relevant element,
> and then say that the default value of the "content" property on the
> ::footnote pseudo-element is "contents"?

So what you are saying is that the 'content' property on the '::footnote'
pseudo-element has an initial value ('normal') which computes to 'none' in
the usual case but 'contents' if the element itself uses the counter
'footnote' (directly or indirectly) somewhere in _its_ 'content' property?

It's a bit of a hack but I suppose it could work.