Re: CSS2.1: \A and white-space

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:07:33 +0200, you wrote:

>On Saturday, September 7, 2002, 4:41:44 PM, Jan wrote:

>JRE> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:02:01 +0200, you wrote:
>JRE> [...]
>>>If anybody can come up with a definition where
>>>
>>>    A {line-break-after: always}
>>>    <A><A></A></A>
>>>causes no empty line, while
>>>    A {line-break-after: always}
>>>    <A></A><A></A>
>>>does, then I'd be happy.

>JRE> ...invalid markup... (from HTML4.01)...
>JRE>     <!ELEMENT A - - (%inline;)* -(A)  -- anchor -->
>JRE> note- - - - - - - - - - - - - - ^^^^
>
> Sigh.
> Try to consider that HTML might not be the only markup language in
> the world, and that 'A' is just a random example  like 'x' in
> formulae.

Don't hurt yourself please; you are trying to break open an already open
door. (DocBook and Tei are in my "vocabulary" since years back)

But back to the original issue; Bert is postulating a question that is
impossible to answer as per his request.

The correct answer is that CSS _selects_ elements out of the parse tree
as per correctly set-up selectors; properties of such selected elements
can have presentational values assigned and suggested to them, that's
it.

Asking for specific and separate treatment of just some certain
combinations of elements, in the parse tree, to be part of the CSS specs
is moot. Forget it, move to rethink the design.

--
Rex