Re: CSS2.1: \A and white-space

On 9/6/02 10:02 AM, "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik writes:
>
>> E.g.
>>
>> br { line-break-after:always }
>
> That would have been my preferred solution, but we never could get it
> to work. The BR element, as implemented by Netscape long ago, behaves
> in a strange way. It doesn't just cause a line break, it creates empty
> lines as well, when there are several BRs in a row.
>
> You cannot fix that by saying that 'line-break-after: always' inserts
> both a zero-width space and a line break, because then
>
>   A, B {line-break-after: always}
>
>   <A>... <B>...</B></A>
>
> would cause an empty line.
>
> If anybody can come up with a definition where
>
>   A {line-break-after: always}
>
>   <A><A></A></A>
>
> causes no empty line, while
>
>   A {line-break-after: always}
>
>   <A></A><A></A>
>
> does, then I'd be happy.

First there is the question of whether emulating this particular ancient
browser quirk in CSS is even important anymore, since there are so many
better mechanisms (e.g. margin, padding) to add white space _properly_,

I'd say that in this day and age of CSS2.1 and CSS3, being able to style
years ago is a non-requirement.  Why would we want to encourage people to
continue to use bad markup?

Second, what about this?

 br { display:inline; line-break-after:always }
 br+br { display:block; height:1em }

Tantek