Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

>Tantek Çelik wrote:

> * Personally I want to keep "orange" if we can make exceptions.  Perhaps we
> let folks nominate specific X11 colors (maybe just one per person ;-) NOT to
> deprecate, and if there are no objections we keep those few colors?

Indeed. If it weren't for the obvious shortcomings of the HTML list I'd
really suggest dumping X11 and keeping just that short list.

But, though I suspect you're being facetious, you have hit the nail
right on the head with Orange. If I recall my secondary school art
lessons, then every school child should recognise:

red, yellow, blue and green, orange, purple

as the primary and secondary colours.

Well, the HTML colours almost pass the "high school" test, with the
addition of orange.

I know it sounds simplisitic, but with orange added they do make a
pretty good "intuitive" base set.

Sure, there are a few others I'm sure we'd all like, but we're talking
about the spec here - no one is going to force user agent vendors to
remove Violet, Brown or Pink etc.

So, if its concrete proposals that are ready today that you need for a
last call, here's one:

Drop the X11 colours, keep the HTML ones as a base set to recognise
common usage.
Add orange to the HTML ones if you can bring yourself to do so.

--
AndyT (lordpixel - the cat who walks through walls)
A little bigger on the inside

I think we finally found the killer app for Flash: animated stick men