Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

On 5/28/02 6:04 AM, "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:

>> A reasonable proposal - but I will not deprecate them in CSS3 unless the
>> SVG
>> working group also deprecates in SVG 1.1.
>
> That's not how W3C works. They're not in CSS3 yet.

Ah, but they are in CSS.  CSS is independent of any particular markup
language.  There is no such thing as CSS for a particular set of tags or
namespaces.  If any spec at W3C adds CSS properties or values, they are
added for use in CSS with any other spec.  Arguing about that doesn't make
it not so - that's how CSS works.

By adding the X11 colors to the "color" property, SVG added them to CSS.

> You have to show
> consensus, which judging by the responses in this group, does not yet exist.

But consensus is precisely what I am trying build on this issue.

There appears to be consensus in www-style to deprecate the X11 colors.

Since this issue affects SVG, I think the consensus must include www-svg as
well, either way, hence I expanded the discussion to that forum.

> If one person feels strongly against an issue it's hard to get it through
> the REC process.

As I said, it has already gotten through the REC process, and from the likes
of it, only because the folks on www-style who do not like the X11 colors in
general do not appear to review SVG and other W3C specs.  I understand and
sympathize with the number of specs that W3C produces, but this is still no
excuse.

However, if, as you say, it's hard to get it through the REC process, then
presumably SVG 1.1 has similar issues to CSS3 color with respect to the X11
colors, since neither is a REC yet.  Therefore, these two groups must
resolve this matter one way or another in order to proceed with both of
these specs.

Tantek