Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

A rumor says that Steven Pemberton wrote:

>Well, the need for named colours is clear. The first Mosaic was on X right?
>So it is not surprising that they just used an existing name set that worked
>out of the box.

Right. It just had to parse the contents of /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/rgb.txt
to be all set.

I have to agree with Steven (I have always complained about the X11
color set) : color names are just crazy. I saw a few days ago an
evangelism bug caused by an invalid CSS color name belonging to X11 set
: palegoldenrod. I was just unable to imagine what color it represents
looking at the name.

By the way, Mozilla/Netscape accept a restricted X11 color set, even on
non-X platforms... A lot of web sites already use colors from this set.
Could you believe that MS sites are in the list ?-)

Conclusions : right, the X11 color set should not be a standard 'de
jure'... ooops, too bad, that's already a standard 'de facto'. We have
to live with it, I'm afraid.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/layout/tools/ColorNames.txt

</Daniel>