Re: canvas <html> <body>

Andrew Clover wrote:

> Okay. If you take that interpretation, they are equivalent (nearly *)
> - and useless. If this is correct, there is no way an element's height
> or vertical positioning can be based on the height of the viewport
> without using fixed positioning.

Unless we add more prose to the spec that says that percentages on the root
element are relative to the viewport dimensions.

> * - but not in all cases. If you put a 100px height on <html> and
>     add an absolute-positioned child with %age top, is that
>     percentage relative to the 100px (as implied by 'root element
>     is ICB') or still undefined (as implied by 'root element is inside
>     ICB')?

There is nothing special about <html>. Rephrease the question using <div>
instead of <html> and you'll see everything is just as well defined.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to