Re: canvas <html> <body>

Ian Hickson wrote regarding CSS2:

> But the root element establishes a containing block simply by virtue of being
> the root element. Section 10.1 is quit clear on this. I propose we strike the
> conflicting section in chapter 9.

I would agree that CSS2 section 10.1 is clear except that my understanding of it differs
from yours.  Section 10.1 reads:

    The containing block (called the initial containing block)
    in which the root element lives is chosen by the user agent.

That passage indicates that the root element's boxes do *not* establish the containing
block.  Or, better stated, there is no requirement that the root element's boxes establish
the containing block.  Surely a user agent conforming to that passage could base the
initial containing block on the root element's boxes rather than fitting the root element's
boxes into a previously chosen initial containing block.

Section 9.1.2 reads:

    The root of the document tree generates a box that serves
    as the initial containing block for subsequent layout.

Did you mean to strike the passage in section 10.1?  That would seem more in the vein
of your previous comments.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>