Re: canvas <html> <body>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Why can an inline element not be a containing block?
>
> That happens all the time, e.g. every inline element that has
> 'position:relative' becomes a containing block for absolutely positioned
> descendants.

You make a good point but, at least in CSS2, the root element cannot
have a calculated 'position' value of 'relative'.  With a 'position' value of
'static', an inline element does not establish a containing block.  We
could add an exception for root elements.  It is simpler and cleaner,
though, to specify that the root element does not establish the initial
containing block but rather fits in an initial containing block chosen by
the user agent (for example, a browser window's content area).

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>