Re: a:hover and a:active and named anchors

Stuart Ballard says:
> Jerry Baker wrote:
>

>> Although I might be ignorant of some other purpose of which I haven't
>> thought, why can't named anchors be specifically excluded from :hover
>> and :active?
>

> bz already answered this I believe.
>
>> I'm probably preaching to the choir, but having a:hover and a:active
>> match named anchors seems as silly as allowing HTML comments to have
>> :hover and :active states. The two elements are identical in behavior
>> from the perspective of end users.
>

> Not strictly true. It's entirely possible to surround some text with an
> <a name="">foo</a> - in fact, if it wasn't, this whole discussion would
> be moot because there'd be no pixel-space to hover over, and the hover
> state couldn't be activated.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am well aware that named anchors
can contain text. I wasn't saying that :hover for them was silly because
they were empty, but because they are invisible, non-structural, and
unusuable to the end user. In the end user's world, they don't exist.
Much like a comment. A named anchor is a unique kind of tag in that it
is nothing more than the recipient of an event in a manner of speaking.
It doesn't orginate events, it doesn't have any effect on how a document
is structured, and, except for this silly behavior, it doesn't have
anything to do with the layout of a document.