Re: List Module Offering

Daniel Yacob writes:

> Greetings,
>
> At the bottom of this letter I've included some text for the CSS3
> List module spec.  This in response to the request for "..a lot
> more detail" in section 4.  A formatted revision is here:
>
>   http://yacob.org/CSS3_Lists.html

Thanks! Very helpful.

> I don't know how much information is desired, I've added enough
> to give the flavour of the style types.  Feel free to rip out
> what's excessive or request more detail where needed.
>

> On the matter of the temporary term "marker" I'd like to suggest
> "format" if it hasn't been rejected already.  I find it simple
> and descriptive enough.
>
> On the subject of list-styles;  the notion that all across
> europe the upper and lower-alpha list styles imply the same
> 26 letter charset boggles my mind.  Is this truly the case that
> French, German, Norwegian, etc use simply A-Z and do not add
> their extra letters?  If so, why?  Maybe I'm easily fascinated..

I've never seen a list in French or German that had items numbered
with a oe ligature or a sharp s. That is no proof that nobody has ever
done it or might want to do it...

I don't know about Norwegian, but we have had Norwegians in the WG or
otherwise involved in CSS and they never complained.

> Is there a Cyrillic list style?  I didn't see it listed in
> the spec.

Good point. I would expect it exists. (And there also you could raise
the question whether the Ukraine, e.g., uses its extra letters...)

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA