Re: scale: font-size to % of client window?

Hello Håkon,

On Thursday, July 11, 2002 you wrote:

> Also sprach Rijk van Geijtenbeek:

>  > > Is it possible to scale font-size to % of client window size?
>  >
>  > Nope. This is one a the few things missing w.r.t font sizing.

> Yes. We should have used the % unit for this. We wasted one unit by
> letting em and % mean the same thing on font-size.

> How should we fix it in CSS3?

By inventing a new unit, representing 1/1000th of the initial
containing block width?

  body {font-size: 30ticb;}

Such an unit would not be usable under normal web browsing conditions.
You don't want people reaching for their glasses when they make their
window a bit smaller. But it would be great for Opera's OperaShow
mode, and for decorative uses like on http://www.w3.org/Style/ .

Greetings,
 Rijk                            mailto:rijk@iname.com

Mot du Jour:
The best way to win an argument is to be right.