Re: CSS in XML format ?

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 18:48, Christian Roth wrote:
> Reading the discussions on this subject, I am wondering why it is
> obviously considered a bad idea to create an XML DTD or XML Schema
> describing CSS and have it attached to the CSS specification as a
> recommended practice in a non-normative way?

The same thing came up not so long ago about SVG path data. Many people
appear to agree that having an extended non-normative XML expression for SVG
path data would be a good idea so that one could do SVG -> SAX filter ->
SVG+XML path data -> XSLT (manipulates the path data) -> SVG+XML path data ->
SAX filter -> SVG. However it didn't interest enough people (or people
enough) that it actually got implemented[1].

Don't get me wrong, I'm not *against* CSS-X. I just think that there's too
little interest for it to happen beyond the more or less ad hoc encodings one
may develop internally. I'm also not sure that it's a good idea to crowd an
already large spec with that extra information.

One positive thing I see for CSS-X is that it could help define a proper CSS
DOM unlike the current aborted one, but that's another rant altogether.

[1] not quite true actually, I do have a quick hack of those two SAX filters
but I didn't care enough about that issue myself to finish and release them.

--
Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com> -- for hire: http://robin.berjon.com/
  The more you run over a dog, the flatter it gets.