Re: How to specify the font for tooltips in IE?

Hi

On Tue 22-Jan-2002 at 03:42:06 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Monday, January 21, 2002, 7:49:22 PM, Chris Croome wrote:
>
> CC> I've done an example file, attached and at:
> CC>   http://chris.croome.net/pa.htm
>
> CC> You need a windows machine for this and the Arial UNICODE font (13Mb):
>
> Its not clear why one would need a Windows machine, I would say that
> MacOS X would deal with that perfectly well and so, likely, would any
> OS that is Unicode enabled.

Yes, sorry, I don't have access to a OSX box so I don't know about that.

> I agree that your example relies on the Arial Unicode font. What fonts
> are commonly used as Unicode fallbacks on MacOS X? Are the newer RH
> and Debian builds Unicode enabled now, and what do they come with?

I'm running RH7.2 and I've spent quite a bit of time looking into this
and testing various things using the latest mozilla and opera builds and
as far as I can work out it's not possible to display Unicode Punjabi in
Linux, yet...

> CC> The H1 displays OK but the title tooltip is not in the correct font --
>
> I see the h1, the title and the tooltip al correct, on Windows XP. I
> would imagine the Windows 2000 would display the same.

I had only tested it in W98. I've just tested in W2K and the font is not
properly set for the tooltip unless one manually sets the system-wide
font for the tooltips to be Arial Unicode MS. In addition one has to do
this for the Title Bar.

> CC> anyone have any ideas?
>
> Upgrade to an OS that is Unicode enabled I assume you are using a 9x
> (95, 98, 98SE, ME) version of Windows?

No, RH7.2 with a handful of VMWare Win98's so that I can test in IE4, 5,
5,5 and 6 all at the same time (this is _all_ I use windows for).

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
everything else                               http://chris.croome.net/