Re: RFC: ability to assign images to corners

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>
> Vadim Plessky writes:
> > On Wednesday 20 February 2002 20:14, Robert Koberg wrote:
> > |   I would like to have a box on the page that uses 4 uniques corners.
> > | would also like the borders to be assignd unique images that can tile
so it
> > | can be any height or width.
> > |
> > |   *-----*
> > |   |       |
> > |   |       |
> > |   *-----*
> > |
> > |   best,
> > |   -Rob
> >
> > I second back this proposal.
> > Besides, you should be able to change those borders (corners)
dynamically,
> > with mouse :hover or for :focus / :active state
> > Traditional Windowing Environment is dieing, web becomes more and more
> > important. We should implement in CSS (Visual Rendering/Behavior) best
> > features of legacy windowing environments, like MS WIndows, X-Windowing
> > System or MacOS.
>
> The CSS WG also likes it and in fact decided a few months back to try
> to write a draft[1] about it. However, from *liking* it to actually
> coming up with a consistent and implementable specification is quite a
> long way. Corner pieces are relatively OK, but the edges may contain a
> fractional number of tiles, what do you do then? Scale the tile? Scale
> the element's content? Crop the tile? All of those?

I don't know how these things are handled internally but why can't have the
same behavior as tiling backgrounds in TDs (crop)? Or perhaps there is a
limitaion placed (don't really like this idea, but it still works for my
cases), that is: if tiling a width border then you must have an image that
is one pixel in width; if tiling a height it has to be 1 pixel in height. No
fractions this way.

> And how do you
> keep the CSS rules simple to write? There are already quite a number
> of border properties, we'd like to avoid that we get two dozen more...

div.coolBox {

top-right-corner: top_rt_corner.gif;
bottom-right-corner: btm_rt_corner.gif;
bottom-left-corner: btm_lft_corner.gif;
top-left-corner: top_lft_corner.gif;

top-border-tile: top_brdr.gif;
right-border-tile: rt_brdr.gif;
bottom-border-tile: btm_brdr.gif;
left-border-tile: lft_brdr.gif;

}

> Of course, the best way you can help is to send concrete proposals.

why not discuss it with us on this list?

> [1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#borders

doesn't mention corners other than rounded and I assume that is not image
based.

best,
-Rob