Re: CSS, css, etc. [css layout should be symmetrical]

Vadim Plessky wrote:
> So, what's your proposal?
> Skip CSS and go back to HTML 4.0?

No, my proposal is to use CSS1 now, CSS2 when it is implemented, and so forth.

>|> But I did some research in that direction - and it shows that neither
>|> Mozilla nor MS IE can render CSS2 'table-*' properties. Konqueror
>|> handles it much better but still fails on some tetss.
>|
>| That is incorrect.
 >
> well, take my example below and enjoy.
> I had a lot of fun developing this example, and testing it in different
> browsers.

Problem number 1: Your markup is invalid.

Problem number 2: Having corrected your markup, I found that your CSS rules had
display:block set after display:table-*, causing your table-related markup to be
ignored:

> .realtd 	{
> /* "realtd" has { display: table-cell } definition, while
>     "pseudotd" - display : block;
>  */
> 	display : table-cell;

                   ^^^^^^^^^^

>  	font-family: "Arial", "Helvetica", "Geneva", sans-serif;
> 	font-size: 16pt;
>  	font-weight : bold;
>  	display : block;

                   ^^^^^

>  	margin: 5px;
> 	border: 4px solid lime;
>  	padding: 5px;
>  	text-align: center;
>  	vertical-align: middle;
>  	}

Having fixed this error, the page renderered as expected in Mozilla.

I am surprised that you say it worked as you expected in Konqueror, if it did
then that is an error. When I tried it, Konqueror locked up.

> Does XHTML explains how you should render this:

XHTML doesn't explain how anything should be rendered. That's the realm of CSS.

> BTW: I like MS IE solution when it renders XML with unknown DTD as a DOM
> tree, that's it. But MS IE will render XHTML treating it as HTML.
> You will not get "XHTML parsing error" on not well-formed XHTML.
> But you will get error on bad XML.
>
> So I do no think your last statement was correct for 100%.
> There are some differences in XHTML and *pure XML*,at least with rendering in
> modern browsers.

If what you say is true, then it is a (rather serious) bug in IE. It does not
affect the validity of my statement, however.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to