Re: css layout should be symmetrical

David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote on 2/19/02 1:58:54 AM:

>> hack.  Of course, the statements quoted need to be evaluated on a case-by-
>> case or person-by-person basis.  I don't develop for non-visual media, so
>> should I care about this?
>
>If you are in the USA, Australia, or Europe, it is rather difficult not
>to be obliged to support non-visual media.
> . . .

I know (vaguely) about the government regulations.  I don't know if my work
is within the domain of any such regulations, but the practical reality is
that it is a total non-issue for me at present and for the foreseeable future.
  It would, however, be a big issue with my boss if I started taking a really
  long time to make sites and changing their design to accomodate blind users
  that in alll likelihood don't even exist, and certainly exist in no greater
  than infinitesimal numbers.  Context: I work for a company that makes
  websites for veterinary related companies such as animal hospitals,
  veterinary professional organizations, etc.

It is a pretty significant difference between, say, seeing and being blind.
Maybe we should consider the possibility that in order to produce a
worthwhile experience for everyone, or anyone, it might require more than a
different style sheet to make the same content available to such drastically
different demographics of users.

Other mediums don't try to pile all of the responsibility onto a single
physical object.  You can have a traditional book, an audio book, and a
braille book that all consist of the same content, but they are three
separate, individual objects.

Jesse